RealCADD 5.32b1

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Eric Pousse

RealCADD 5.32b1

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour,

A beta version of RealCADD 5.32b1 is available here :
RealCADD5.32b1

with a new "Text with spline and line tool".
A small video :

Voilà !
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Re: RealCADD 5.32b1

Post by debenriver »

Very nice additional tool! Very useful for labelling in complicated/awkward drawings.

Can I suggest some modifications/additions:

1) It's very easy to keep on drawing lines/splines and text when you don't want to. In fact it drove me crazy until I remembered you could hit the esc key to get out of it!! If you could implement that a single click on a tool was a once only use and, say, control click was an ongoing use that would be great (not just for this tool but for most of them). With an appropriate darker background for the control click option. Originally I though a double click would be good, but of course this is already used for the double dotted tools.

2) I can't seem to get a 45º line – perhaps in the double-click window you could select line or spline – then all the constraints would work with line. Line actually seems to be a straight spline, rather than a real line at the moment?

3) Some control of the text direction perhaps? Though following the curve of the spline is getting like Illustrator!! But 90º with a vertical line would perhaps be useful.

Cheers -- George

Edit I've just realized that you can get most of (2) above using the old Text with Line tool.
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

Yes, if the length of first object, line or spline, is zero then I will deselect the tool.

Thanks.
Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

Just personally – I'd like to see the possibility of separating a single use of a tool and an ongoing use of a tool, with appropriate colour change of the tool background. So you can decide just to use it the one time (probably the default for many users) – or keep on using it. Single click and double click are the obvious actions to enable this. We currently have both ⌥-click and double-click to open the options window for double-dotted tools – so it wouldn't be the end of the world to drop the double click?

A couple of other things that (again, just me personally) would like to see in a future version:

1) Adding "Highlight objects" toggling on and off to the little bottom left menu (like "Display attraction names" is). It's good to be able to highlight things, but gets a bit annoying on a complex drawing (well - I get annoyed!!). And it's a nuisance to have to go back to preferences to change it.

2) This is really very minor – but would it be possible to remove selected items from the "Open recent" menu? When working on designs that need a lot of opening and closing of drawings for reference purposes, they really don't need to be on the "Open recent" menu and it would be nice just to be able to delete them without starting all over. But not very important of course!

Again – these are just personal preferences and not a criticism!

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

I will think about this new feature.

Thanks.
Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

Erm - while thinking of possible features I wonder ....

1) Could the Edit window show the centre position of an object. I realize you can find it with Mouse Position, but I'm never entirely sure if that's accurate? And it would be quicker if it simply showed in the Edit window along with the other data.

2) For two Lines that intersect, could the Edit window show the Intersection x & y co-ordinates of two the lines, if both are selected?

Just thoughts

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,
debenriver wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:44 pm 1) Could the Edit window show the centre position of an object. I realize you can find it with Mouse Position, but I'm never entirely sure if that's accurate? And it would be quicker if it simply showed in the Edit window along with the other data.
This feature exists :

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Ah - yes - of course – silly me 🤪

Cheers -- George