Zoom oddity

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Zoom oddity

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

A couple of very minor things:

1. With 4.80b2 there is a slight zoom oddity: if you have an object selected and then do a zoom (keystroke Z) the selected object appears separately and large in a zoom marquee that jumps out of location. Once you click, zoom returns to location and everything is normal again and has zoomed OK. Zoom without an object selected works as it always did – just fine.

It doesn't matter because it all works, but it is a bit disconcerting! It only happened with 4.80b2

2. One other very minor oddity if you have a drawing with layers and layer layouts. If you select an object on the active layer (usually to copy and paste) and then switch to a layer layout where the original layer is not the active layer and not visible, the selected object is still visible, even though it is on a non-visible layer. It pastes just fine on the new active layer and it's not a problem at all - just a bit surprising at first!

If you don't have layer layouts and you select an object on the active layer, then go to the layers window and swap layers, making the first layer non-visible, this doesn't happen – as you would expect, the selected object is not visible (it pastes perfectly normally just as you would expect).

I think this may have been the case for a long time – but I only really started to use layer layouts once there was a top menu item for them in 4.70, so I don't really know.

In some ways it is quite useful because you still see the selected object.

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Re: Zoom oddity

Post by Eric Pousse »

Thank you George, this 2 bugs are fixed now!

Some others? ... ;)

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

Maybe one or two little things that maybe could be tidied up - not really bugs and certainly not important. Just odd things I have noticed :D

Layer layouts When you first open RealCADD, Layer layouts shows "dc_Nolayout" dimmed in the default page Untitled 1. If you then open an existing file the Layer layouts menu on Untitled 1 changes to read "No Layout" (not dimmed) which is more logical (well I think it is anyway!).

If you open a new plan rather than an existing one – the Layer layout menu on the new file (Untitled 2) will show "dc_Nolayout" dimmed, while on Untitled 1 it will have changed to read correctly "No Layout" (not dimmed). If you open a third new plan, then the menu shows correctly "No Layout" (not dimmed) on all three.

Views When you first open RealCADD, Views shows "None" dimmed. Opening another file, new or existing, changes this to "None, undimmed. Such a minor thing - hardly worth mentioning :mrgreen:

Sometimes, but not always, when you have a drawing open with several Views and Layer layouts, and you open a new plan, the Views menu on the new file will show the Views of the earlier file (but not the Layer layouts). To fix this you have to quit RealCADD at re-open it. But this doesn't happen all the time and I haven't tried to track down when it does – it seems vaguely to be when you have been working on a complex file with lots of views and layers for a long time - but this might just be a red herring. And I don't really think it is worth bothering with.

Open recent If you clear the menu it shows three default items, Exemple 1, Exemple 2 and Exemple 3 – instead of being empty. To get rid of those you have to set the No. of Items to Zero and then reset it to the number you want. Leaving it at zero can cause crash problems.

I fixed this by finding Exemple 1, Exemple 2 and Exemple 3 (in Documents >> RealCadd I think ??? - but I can't remember because it was a while ago that I did it!) and deleting them – now it works perfectly.

DXF When I open a dxf file there are often lots of layers but none of them is an Active layer. If you try to do anything – like draw a perpendicular, you get a crash. Making one layer (any of them) Active fixes this. I guess this may simply be a factor in the dxf transition and nothing to do with RealCADD – and it's very easily fixed by having the discipline to go and make on layer active before doing anything else! And I noted this in the appropriate section of the manual ... even so I regularly forget to do it!!

As I said - none of these are important at all ...

Cheers and many thanks for such a great program. My current project (a 15.5m ketch-rigged sailboat for aluminium alloy construction) for example, has 12 Layers, 12 Layer layouts and 11 Views and functions splendidly – and I can move around really quite fast for such a large complex drawing.

George

PS - I think I can safely add the new features to the manual now?
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Thank you George for your feedback !
I will try to fix that also.
Eric Pousse
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

The little bugs with "Layer layouts" and "Views" are fixed. I hope for the last with "Views" because I can't reproduce it.

For "Open recent", it is a feature...And exactly the way to be able to erase the menu totally is to remove the example files or to rename them (in Documents/RealCADD/Examples/).

For the DXF files, I have added a new test that I can't test because I don't have a DXF file which causes this problem.

And the options of layer are now saved in files.

RealCADD 4.80b3 mac OS

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

All seems perfect Eric!!

:mrgreen:

Many thanks -- George