notching a corner

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Mikerosen

notching a corner

Post by Mikerosen »

Is there such a thing as a "reverse fillet"?

In the drawing, I have no problem with the convex curve; I simply set the distance in the fillet tool. But for the circled portion, I have to use the arc/radius tool, and then clip out the corner. Is there an easier way?
Attachments
notch.png
notch.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Re: notching a corner

Post by debenriver »

Yes I think there is.

1. Draw your two lines

2. Do a normal radius fillet (set to radius or length) with the tool selected to "Extend and cut" or "Extend, cut and delete".

3. Select the fillet arc and hit ⇧⌘H and then ⇧⌘V to flip it vertically and horizontally.

4. If you did "Extend and cut", you will need to remove the two cut lengths; if you did "Extend, cut and delete" it should in theory have deleted the two cut lengths but I've never been able to make that work very well – it doesn't seem to me that it deletes the logical bits! So I never use it.
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 18.29.20.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 18.29.20.png (11.52 KiB) Viewed 4772 times
I know it's still several steps – but it's very quick to do.

Actually it would be nice :mrgreen: to have a reverse fillet option – maybe holding down the ⌥ (option) key while you dragged for the fillet

Cheers -- George
Mikerosen

Re: notching a corner

Post by Mikerosen »

Excellent, George. Many thanks. That's much quicker and more accurate than the way I was doing it. (E, C, & D doesn't work for me in this case, either. But with the keyboard shortcut M for the cutting tool, clipping is pretty quick.)

Now, if I can just remember that the next time I need it...
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro