Feature requests: Fit to Page and Revert

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Mikerosen

Feature requests: Fit to Page and Revert

Post by Mikerosen »

After completing a drawing, I often need to resize it to fit the Print page. Since I have to enter the ratio, it often takes two or three tries to get it right. A "Fit to Page" command that would automatically find the optimum ratio would save time.

After the drawing is resized, I inevitably see a dimension (or something else) that I missed. Since any additions are at the new scale, they won't add correctly to the drawing. Going back to the original size is an exercise in futility. A "Revert" command that would return the drawing to the last size prior to the "Fit to Page" would be great!

On the Page Size dialogue, a change from Portrait to Landscape should automatically swap the Drawing Size dimensions, as well.

On the Resize dialogue, the ratio for horizontal and vertical should be linked (or, at least, linkable). How often would you change one, and not the other?
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Re: Feature requests: Fit to Page and Revert

Post by debenriver »

Hi Mike

Usually with a CAD program like RealCADD, and many other Mac CAD programs (like the old ClarisCad for example) you set your scale to suit the eventual printed page – just like you would if you were doing a drawing on a drawing board. Then you don't have to do any re-sizing to print. With RC you can zoom to any amount, so there is no difficulty seeing what you are drawing, even if the scale is quite small. I often draw at 1:50 for example, but RC is so accurate at any scale it's never a problem.

The US has a problem in that its paper sizes are not at a consistent ratio – so resizing is a problem. With international A-series, or B-series, that is never a problem because each size is at a constant aspect ratio (√2). So for example, if you fold an A0 sheet in half you get A1; fold that in half and you get A2 and so on. Letter, Legal and Tabloid (11 x 17) just don't have this consistent advantage; nor do US Arch paper sizes.

So, in the US it is particularly a good idea to set your scale to suit the eventual paper print size. For example, I make a lot of my drawings to suit 11" x 17" landscape (which also prints out OK as A3 in the rest of the world) and before starting a drawing I decide a scale so that what I am drawing will fit a piece of paper that size; so I might use 1:10; 1:20; 1:25; 1:30; 1:33.33; 1:50 and so on, depending on the size of object – mostly boats – that I am drawing.

Then you never get scale problems with dimensions or anything else. And the actual scale of your printed document will be a sensible one – one that exists on a scale rule for example – or can be measured using a builders tape. Drawing at (say) 1:1 and then rescaling to fit a printed page tends to produce impractical scales for the end user if they want to measure something from the drawing.

If you do do a resize (which is absolutely not a good way to change the scale) – you can set the new scale of the drawing in the Layers pallet. So any new bits will be at the new scale. A much better way really is to create a new layer (or even a new drawing) at the scale you want and then cut (or copy) and paste the objects from the original layer to the new layer, at which time they will automatically rescale (if you answer "Yes" to the dialogue that comes up –see manual http://www.whisstock.com/realcadd/page_ ... e_id=05_02 ).

I do agree with you that it would be nice if RC registered changes from portrait to landscape, which would save hitting the *1 keys twice.

And a checkbox to link the resize data would also be nice. Though I have to say that I often resize by unequal amounts :mrgreen: – to alter the characteristics of a curve (or polyline) or similar. You can make it shallower by resizing the x-dimension more than the y-dimension for example.

I think I will write a new bit of the manual to deal with scale!

Cheers -- George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Thanks, George! But my drawings aren't going to be measured with a scale; they are to give a client an idea of how the shelves, base units, and TV set will look against each other. So, filling the page with a dimensioned drawing is more important than a specific scale size.

Your explanation of pasting and scale does help. I'll try it, next time.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Even so Mike you might find it better to select a scale that suits the eventual print size – then you wouldn't have to go through all the resize hassle. And if people aren't going to scale off your drawings then it really doesn't matter what scale you draw at – RC can cope with any scale (like 1:17.2345 for example! if that's what it takes to fit to the page).

And in truth most of my builders don't scale off my drawings – because all the data and dimensions are already on them. But it's hard to put something like 1:17.2345 as the scale in the title box. Doesn't look like a professional bit of engineering! 1:33⅓ is a bit of a stretch, though it's a perfectly respectable scale and can be found on many scale rules :mrgreen:

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Mike,

I will see if it is possible to add the possibility to print on a single page like with iPocket Draw.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Mike,

I thought about your feature request.
I think that change the scale of the drawing is not a good way.
It will be better to change the scale of the printing.
Can you try this, please:
- display your drawing at zoom 100%
- do "Save as" => "Other"
- choose pdf or png for example
- open the picture with the app. "Preview"
- Print the picture on one page

Is the result good for you?
If yes, I will try to add this feature in RealCADD.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric!

I'm sure that is the best way to do it.

It's nice to have a "Scale" box where you can specify a specific scale reduction or increase.

And a "Fit to Page" which fits the drawing to the selected page regardless of scale.

Just like Preview in fact (and like ClarisCad - though that only had a scale facility - no fit to page)

With metric scales and ISO paper sizes, the two go hand in hand anyway:

Eg: an A3 drawing at 1:10, scaled 66.667% in the Print menu, will result in an A4 print at 1:15 scale. And so on. Doesn't work so easily with American paper sizes ...

Cheers -- George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

I'll take a look. Thanks.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Mike – regarding page size changes:

If you set your Drawing size height and width both to *1, instead of actual size numbers, then the drawing size will change appropriately if you change the Page setup size. So if you go from Portrait to Landscape for example, the Drawing size will automatically change to reflect that. Same if you changed from US Letter to 11" x 17", A4, A3, or whatever, the Drawing Size will change automatically.

This works whatever multiple you care to use – so *2 in height and *1 in width (or vice versa), would give you two pages and so on. I often use *1.25 as a width until I have finished a drawing because it gives a bit of extra space on the right hand side to park the tool pallets.

Cheers -- George :mrgreen:
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

I'll try that out. Thanks.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA