maintaining scale

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Mikerosen

maintaining scale

Post by Mikerosen »

Generally, my drawings are done and dimensioned at a 1/12 scale. No problem.

Today, I wanted to do one at 1/1. I opened a new document, drew a rectangle of 2 inches by four inches, and changed the scale in the Edit frame to 1/1. It drew the rectangle correctly.

When I went to add dimensions, though, it reverted to the 1/12 scale, so they came out as 24" and 48".

What do I need to do, to keep things consistent? Is there somewhere else I need to specify the scale?
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Re: maintaining scale

Post by debenriver »

Hi Mike

Changing the scale in the Edit pallet only changes the scale of the selected object – not the scale of the drawing generally. You can have objects on a single layer of a drawing at different scales, but generally it's not a good idea (it gets very confusing).

When you open a new drawing, go to Windows >> Layers/Pages... and alter the scale of the initial layer (Layer0) to the scale you want. Then everything you draw (on that layer) will be at this scale, unless you change it in the edit pallet.

Having objects at different scales on different layers of a drawing is just fine. So, say 1:12 for the main drawing (on one layer) and 1:2 or 1:1 for detail (on another layer).

RealCADD will open a new drawing at the scale of the last drawing you did – in your case 1/12. So you need to change it before you draw anything. So after doing a 1/1 drawing it's likely that the next drawing you create will be at 1/1 until you change it under Windows >> Layers/Pages...

Cheers -- George :mrgreen:
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Mike,

Here, there is a difference between RealCADD and iPocket Draw.
In iPocket Draw, you can change the scale only on layers and all the objects of the layer have the same scale.
In RealCADD, as said George, you have the scale of the layer which is the default scale for the new objects created on this layer but you can change the scale of each object after.
It is a possibility but it is better to have all objects of each layer with the default scale of the layer on which they are.
And if you want some objects with a different scale, it is better to create a new layer with this scale.
Or if you want a new drawing with a different scale, the better way is to change the default scale of the layer.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Thank you, both. I'm sure you've told me that before!
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro