Moving objects from a certain layer to another

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
RockinHorse

Moving objects from a certain layer to another

Post by RockinHorse »

Hello

Is there any way to move one or more objects from a certain layer to another without using the copy&paste method?

thx Hubert
debenriver

Re: Moving objects from a certain layer to another

Post by debenriver »

Hi Hubert

I don't think there is, other than copy and paste or cut and paste.

Or if there is, I've not found it!

George
RockinHorse

Post by RockinHorse »

debenriver wrote:Hi Hubert

I don't think there is, other than copy and paste or cut and paste.

Or if there is, I've not found it!

George
Hello George

I was searching too before I put the question here. In know an other application there is an object inspector. With that feature you can change the assignment of an object to a layer. It's just an idea because in RealCADD is already a window with an indication to what an object is assigned to. I assume that could be done with ease for Eric.

Greatings from Germany
Hubert
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Hubert,

George is right, there is not an other way than cut and paste.
But why not, if it is easier and faster.
Eric Pousse
Caddy

Post by Caddy »

Eric Pousse wrote:Hubert,

George is right, there is not an other way than cut and paste.
But why not, if it is easier and faster.
Hi Eric,

there are many reasons for that. I.e. one reason from my side: I need to clean up some drawings those are converted in DWG format at earlier times. The drawings themselves are ok, that's what I'd said already: the import of DWG format in RealCADD looks extremely precise. But in my case all the objects are stored in one layer. So I want to sort the objects step by step and to distribute them to several layers. To change the layer ID is much easier and faster than to operate with copy&paste. You can imagine this, because if there are many objects close together then it is very difficult to make the right selection.

Also I know some more reasons (vectorized pictures) making that feature pretty useful. But there is no need to hurry. May be somewhen in the (not so far) future. The action should work either with one object or a collection of objects on the same layer.

greetings from Germany
Hubert
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Hubert,

How do you see this action?
With a menu?

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

You could maybe do it in the Edit menu. When you select an object it already tells you what layer it is on – if you made this field editable perhaps that would work? Just as you change the length of a line for example in the "L" field or the scale in the Scale field. Don't quite know what would happen if you entered a layer number that did not exist – an alert maybe.

Just a thought ... Don't know how hard it is to code in practice.

George
Caddy

Post by Caddy »

Bonjour Eric, Hello George.

Since I ordered the RealCADD license I was deep insight RealCADD to understand the most of the nice feature. I explored the german GUI expressions and made comparisons with the meaning of the english expressions. And if there was any doubt I made comparisions with the meaning of the french expressions too, but that wasn’t to much doubts, only a few. Nearly 500 GUI expressions are in RealCADD and I got 400 checked. From the 400 I changed 262 by the translation. Sometimes it was hard and for the most cases I need to study clearly the functions and what they do. There exists often a problem created by a common translater not knowing the technical meaning what’s really behind it. In German there is no adequate word for „layer“. If you use instead the german word „Folie“ (that's what the translater did) so you are near the meaning of „foil“ - but a foil is not a layer. So the Germans borrow the english word „layer“ and talk about „Layer“ according for the german orthographic rules. More funny was the translation of „file“, I changed the wording from „Kartei“ to „Datei“. With layer and file it was easy. More hard to understand (not so much) why „Zoom objects“ was translated into „AnsichtsObjekte“. Again the same problem: Not having a german translation for the verb „zoom“, the Germans borrowed it also and say „zoomen“. For a useful improvement I used to select those german expressions they are commonly well known in the world of CAD and IT business. So I’m happy now.

By the way I refreshed a little bit my frensh - and most important - I got a wonderful crash course how to work with RealCADD. During that period I loaded some DWG drawings from my old projects and I’m happy that I’m able to reuse them now. Only the sizes of the DWG and RCAD from RealCADD surprised me. For example: a DWG with 179 KB turns into a RCAD with 616 KB - why that? Normally I would prefer to stay with DWG for that. But the conversion produces a lot of request’s and I didn’t understand. But for the moment it don’t bothers me. Because I’m glad that the conversion from DWG to RealCADD works pretty precise and I think I don’t need this conversion all the time. So I’ll clarify later.

During the short time I learned pretty much about the RealCADD functionality. There are a lot of functions in RealCADD. Particular the functions for line trimming are mighty tools. It seems to me they looks like gentle tigers. But you can feel the power when you start to use. I didn’t check it all. But I looked for everything which is in conjunction with normal drawings based on layers. I skipped the things around the workbook feature because there is a small bug and I’ll ask later for clarification.
Eric Pousse wrote:Bonjour Hubert,

How do you see this action?
With a menu?

Thanks.
debenriver wrote:You could maybe do it in the Edit menu. When you select an object it already tells you what layer it is on – if you made this field editable perhaps that would work? Just as you change the length of a line for example in the "L" field or the scale in the Scale field. Don't quite know what would happen if you entered a layer number that did not exist – an alert maybe.

Just a thought ... Don't know how hard it is to code in practice.

George
I think you can imagine what happend for me the last days. I’m looking through a small window for your great work. Eric, you did really a great job - chapeau! The feature I asked for should wait a little time. I saw the item „Special select…“ and something more. At the Apple Mac there exists the „Automator“ - may be all that can help. I’ll study later. For the moment I’ll try to make a reasonable schedule how to proceed. But first there are some hollydays at the weekend. Next week I’ll take a look to my translation work and make a small revision and after I’ll send it you, Eric. After I think to write down what I’ve seen the last days, I’ve written down already some keywords to remember. I think this can help to create a next step for improving RealCADD. By the beginning of the month I’ll start my next design project and I think we will stay in contact during this time.

Have nice hollydays
Hubert
Last edited by Caddy on Sat May 23, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Thank you Hubert !

I will wait your next posts.
Eric Pousse
RockinHorse

Post by RockinHorse »

Eric Pousse wrote:Thank you Hubert !

I will wait your next posts.
Bonjour Eric

I'll try to keep my promises. I'm ready now to send all information that I worked out to you by E-mail. For the translation there are remaining still 67 expressions. The best will be you take a look inside and it's up to you how to proceed. May be there is one serious issue in the soft. But you know your soft - for me it's an assumption only. Also I have explained a proposal that could create some (more) work for you - if you don't know what you should do with your free time :)

I'm going to start my new design project next week as scheduled. I feel fine for that to do it with RealCADD - there is no doubt about it. I think I'll have in the next time some more subjects to discuss.

Greetings from rainy Germany
Hubert