for the parallel tool.

to see them : http://www.adx-online.com/RealCADD441b7_Mac.zip

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Re: A new option and a new dialog

Post by debenriver »

Bonsoir (heure américaine) Eric

I think the possibility to invert the y-direction is a really good move – then users can simply choose their preference which solves all the directional controversy at a stroke!

I'm having a bit of trouble with the new parallels.

I think the basic principle that you drag in the direction that you want the parallel to go is excellent. Solves all the directional problems that existed previously. Those didn't really fuss me overmuch, but they were quirky to say the least :D

However there seem to be some teething problems – difficultés initiales:

I'm assuming Single Offset means that you get just one parallel object in the direction that you drag

And Multiple Offset means you get more than one object in the direction you drag.

In which case I am confused as to what Number means in relation to Single Offset.

Experimenting a bit with a line:

Single Offset – Number : 1 – Offset: 100mm produces exactly what one would expect – a new line 100mm away from the original in the direction you drag. Excellent!

Single Offset – Number : 3 – Offset: 100mm produces three lines in the direction you drag and two in the opposite direction. Odd!

Multiple Offset – Number : 3 – Offset: 100mm produces exactly the same result – three lines in one direction; two in the other. Also Odd!

Experimenting with shapes (ovals, rectangles, arcs):

Single Offset – Number : 1 – Offset: 100mm does what you would expect.

Single Offset – Number : 3 – Offset: 100mm produces three parallel objects in the direction you drag

Multiple Offset – Number : 3 – Offset: 100mm produces exactly the same result – three parallel objects in the direction you drag.

Experimenting with open polygons/polylines/polycurves:

Didn't seem to work at all, or if it did was very unpredictable and program tended to crash. When it did work it only went in one direction (sort of upwards or rightwards) whatever direction you dragged in. But it was really very unpredictable and did all sorts of odd things. Not Good News for me!

Other considerations :D

How does interactive work. Does it just go as far as you drag – no specified distance?

And have we lost the ability to have parallels in both directions? And the ability to draw double lines etc. by holding down the option key? I think we have. If so I think we would need a "Wall" tool to be able to draw double lines etc.

I think it might(?) be better if Single Offset meant that you only could get parallels in the direction you dragged (in which case Number would specify how many you got). And Multiple (Double would be a better term) meant that you got parallels in both directions (regardless of which way you dragged) – in which case Number would again specify how many you got.

So:

Single - 3 - 100mm would produce three objects at 100mm spacings in the direction you dragged, and

Double - 3 - 100mm would produce three objects at 100mm spacings each side of the original object, regardless of the direction you dragged (in fact a click would do the job).

Still problematical to draw double lines as you can now by holding the option key down – perhaps that has to go and be replaced by a dedicated Wall tool?

Cordialement

Georges
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Georges,

If you choose multiple offset with an offset of 20mm for example and a number of 2, depending of the mouse position you can have parallels at 20mm and 40mm or 40mm and 80mm or 60mm and 120mm etc...
If you choose interactive offset, yes it just go as far as you drag.

The menu Action -> Parallels works with the old method (parallels in both directions possible).
And the drawing tools with option key work always with this parameters.
But currently it is not easy to choose them because you need to select an object, call Action -> Parallel and click OK to validate the datas which will be used with the drawing tools and option key.
I have to find another way.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric
But currently it is not easy to choose them because you need to select an object, call Action -> Parallel and click OK to validate the datas which will be used with the drawing tools and option key.
I have to find another way.
Double-click for the new way
Option-click for the old way

Would that work?

George
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

OK! I understand now :D

With, say, "Single Offset – Number:2 – Offset 20mm" I just can have 2 parallels in the direction I drag.

With, say, "Multiple Offset – Number:2 – Offset 20mm" I can have 2 parallels in the direction I drag, but they can be at 20mm or 40mm or 80mm etc, depending on how far I drag the mouse.

I got confused because I thought that Single and Multiple referred to the Number of parallels you got – but now I understand that it refers to the offset itself.

All is good :D :D :D

But I still don't understand the results with a simple line:

"Single Offset – Number:2 – Offset 100mm":
Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at 08.30.50.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at 08.30.50.png (7.32 KiB) Viewed 10172 times
"Multiple Offset – Number:2 – Offset 100mm" :
Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at 08.31.50.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at 08.31.50.png (7.35 KiB) Viewed 10172 times
I dragged downwards in both cases. Why do I get the extra line above? If I do Number:3, then I get two extra lines above and so on.

Doesn't seem to happen with closed shapes (rectangles, ovals, arcs).

And with polylines the results are peculiar and often cause a crash – but the original system is still there for those and for double parallels etc!

Best regards

George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

The "extra" line is a feature... or a bug.

Thanks
Eric Pousse
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Eric,
Thanks for those. I love the Y option, and I will keep playing with the parallels.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

And what about some thing like that to choose between the old mode (static?) and the new (dynamic?) :
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

That looks great to me!
The "extra" line is a feature... or a bug.
I much prefer a feature ... :lol:
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Voilà...

New beta available : http://www.adx-online.com/RealCADD441b8_Mac.zip

With the dialog with 2 tabpanels and the extra line feature removed.

Thanks.
Eric Pousse