Circle improvement

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Caddy

Circle improvement

Post by Caddy »

Bonjour Eric

Using the centered circle tool it could be a good improvement to determine the radius before the action takes place. What about a double click on the tool’s icon? Then getting a dialog to enter the radius in the appropriate field. After closing the dialog one locate the mouse pointer above a center point and click - that’s it.
Circle Tool.png
Circle Tool.png (14.64 KiB) Viewed 9127 times
Cordialement
Hubert
Eric Pousse

Re: Circle improvement

Post by Eric Pousse »

Good idea !

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

That would be a great improvement! :D

George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

But if you do that, would you extend the functionality to other tools: line length, rectangle size, etc.? That would eliminate going to the properties box to size the items. In fact, it brings it much closer to how other drafting programs work: select a tool, start an operation, enter a dimension, and complete the operation.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

You are quite right Mike – logically it should extend to all the shape tools + lines (lines, arc, circle/oval, square/rectangle and rounded rectangle). Which would be really good. Both a double-click and an option-click should bring up the dialogue – which would retain continuity.

I'm already using the double-click instead of option-click on the tools where it is available. It is just that bit quicker somehow ...

George

PS: there are also two dots on the Rotation tool, which would normally indicate an option, but there is no option – I'm not quite sure what it would be anyway
Caddy

Post by Caddy »

debenriver wrote:You are quite right Mike – logically it should extend to all the shape tools + lines (lines, arc, circle/oval, square/rectangle and rounded rectangle). Which would be really good. Both a double-click and an option-click should bring up the dialogue – which would retain continuity.

I'm already using the double-click instead of option-click on the tools where it is available. It is just that bit quicker somehow ...
Hi George

Double-click is quite good enough. I think it's better to stay with one method - may be you need later the option key for others...

Well, the Double-click is speedy with the existing tools now :D :D :D

Hubert
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Double-click is quite good enough. I think it's better to stay with one method - may be you need later the option key for others...
In my previous CAD program a single click to select a tool made it a once-only use, while a double-click gave continuous use until you unclicked it. RealCADD doesn't make this distinction – which is both good and bad! It's ok now I am accustomed to it but at first I got a lot of unwanted lines etc because I forgot that a tool was still in use until I selected another!

So although I now often use the double-click to select a tool option – at the moment I am often getting the options pallet when I don't want it, until I remember NOT to double-click a tool – before the change I could double-click away with impunity!

But I guess it does make sense to only have one method option-click or double-click, using the speediest or most preferred method for the most used function. Personally I am happy with either method as long as we have consistency :D