Polylines - Polygons - topics

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Caddy

Polylines - Polygons - topics

Post by Caddy »

Bonjour Eric

Before I started this topic I'd took a look to QCAD, also I know there is in my old CAD on Windows something similar to that what I want to get.

I want to create a polyline - actually you call it polygon instead of me.
Wheel Polyline.png
Wheel Polyline.png (11.05 KiB) Viewed 8631 times
This polyline should consists of 6 straight lines and at least of 2 arcs. "Convert to polygon" don't take the arcs. What you can see at the picture it's only 1 polyline/polygon (consists of 5 straight lines), 2 arcs and 1 single line. Ok, to keep it together I could use the grouping method. But the result should be to get a complete background, in the picture the yellow colored background is not complete because of that the 2 arcs are not a part of the polyline....

Do you have any idea how to solve?

Greetings from sunny Germany
Hubert
Eric Pousse

Re: Polylines - Polygons - topics

Post by Eric Pousse »

Hubert,

You have only to convert the arcs to lines before.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hubert

Select the objects (lines. polygons, arcs, bezier curves, etc). Click ⌥⌘L. Click ⌥⌘P. And it's done.

To turn it all back to individual lines click ⌥⌘L. If necessary use ⌘J to select all the joined lines and then ⌥⌘P to turn it back to a polygon/polycurve again.

But you can't turn arcs, curves, etc back to their original form (arc etc) once they have been converted to lines, so you need to plan your process with a little care. For example you won't be able to read back the radius or sweep of an original arc, once its been converted to lines. Unless you store the original on a back-up layer ...

George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

Yes you are right.
If you want to keep the original objects, you have to duplicate them before the conversion to polygon.
Eric Pousse
Caddy

Post by Caddy »

debenriver wrote:Hubert

Select the objects (lines. polygons, arcs, bezier curves, etc). Click ⌥⌘L. Click ⌥⌘P. And it's done.

To turn it all back to individual lines click ⌥⌘L. If necessary use ⌘J to select all the joined lines and then ⌥⌘P to turn it back to a polygon/polycurve again.

But you can't turn arcs, curves, etc back to their original form (arc etc) once they have been converted to lines, so you need to plan your process with a little care. For example you won't be able to read back the radius or sweep of an original arc, once its been converted to lines. Unless you store the original on a back-up layer ...

George

Hello George

This is now my learning process. The process to become familiar with RealCADD takes more time than expected. Fortunately I've not to be payed by a customer. Learning now, I stored the original shapes (before conversion) on a separate (as you like to call) "back-up" layer. This is ok for me now.

Hubert
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

debenriver wrote:Select the objects (lines. polygons, arcs, bezier curves, etc). Click ⌥⌘L. Click ⌥⌘P. And it's done.
George,

I think that it is better to :
- select the objects
- Duplicate ⌘D
- Convert to lines ⌥⌘L
- Convert to polygon ⌥⌘P
- Choose the back color
- Send backward ⌥⌘B
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Eric
I think that it is better to :
- select the objects
- Duplicate ⌘D
- Convert to lines ⌥⌘L
- Convert to polygon ⌥⌘P
- Choose the back color
- Send backward ⌥⌘B
Yes in a perfect world I guess that would be the way to go! But I'm not fussed if I can't immediately re-create a radius for example – I just make a circle of the radius I think I used and offer it up to the shape to see if it fits. But then I tend only to use set radii in my drawings – 5, 10, 20, 25, 50, 75, 100 etc – so it is pretty easy to guess which one I used.

Hubert:
This is now my learning process. The process to become familiar with RealCADD takes more time than expected.
I used ClarisCad for 20 years or so – and I was still finding new features! I think what happens is that you use a program at a very basic level to start with. And then, when some particular process becomes tedious or boring, you search around for a better/quicker way to do it and discover a new (to you) feature of the program. I don't think you can expect to learn everything at once ... Just bash on and use it. Later, when you look back at some of your old drawings you will think "how could I have been so primitive ..." But it doesn't matter – the important thing is that you got the drawings out – sold the project – banked the profits – and moved on :D

George