Parallels... topics and near it

Post by Caddy »

Bonjour Eric

Please assume as followed:
-- a drawing with 2 layers
-- the checkbox "Selection on all visible layers" is checked
-- 1 line exists at layer #1
-- the layer # 2 is active
-- want to create a parallel line at layer #2 with a certain distance to the line at layer #1
-- using the Parallels tool results in getting a parallel line at layer #1 instead of #2

So far as I understand there is a principle that the target layer is determined by the source layer.

But let me ask a provocative question: For what was the provision made by the checkbox "Selection on all visible layers" when a result of an action doesn't take the active layer instead of the layer where the selection was made? In case of the selection is made at an active layer there is no need for this checkbox. From my point of view there could be a big advantage to use this checkbox when the user will be able to make a distinction between source and target layer. What do you think about that matter?

Greetings from Germany
Hubert
Eric Pousse

Re: Parallels... topics and near it

Post by Eric Pousse »

Hubert,

In the same context, if you duplicate the line, the new line is on the layer #1 but if you copy and paste the new line is on layer #2 (active layer).

It is choices that I made because they appear to be logical to me.

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
Caddy

Post by Caddy »

Bonjour Eric

I understand your philosophy. But with the other philosophy you could have both results. I arranged my drawings in the way to have 1 layer for outlines, the second layer for the center lines, the third for dimensions and an auxiliary layer for auxiliary lines. If I want to create such an auxiliary line parallel to a center line, it would be more convenient when the parallel line appears direct at the auxiliary layer. It would be very nice, if you can take my remarks into your considerations.

Another topic of Parallels:

Today I got a little bit confused while using the parallels tool. Now it's clear and I understand what was happened! Imagene, I have 2 vertical lines and I want to create parallel lines to the right of the original lines. I prepared my parallels tool by setting the parameters and I used it directly touching the first line and immediately the second line. I got a strange result: The first parallel line appears at the right how its was determined, but the second line appears on the left instead on the right to the original line. How could it be?

I found out: The first of the originals was drawn from top to bottom and the second line was created from bottom to top! But I can't see it while I'm using the parallels tool. I think this needs some improvement.

All the best
Hubert
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Hubert,

For your first request, what do you think about that :

??
Eric Pousse
Caddy

Post by Caddy »

Bonsoir Eric

This looks great. I'm sure about it, this will speed up every drawing session.

Thank you for that.

Cordialement
Hubert
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Hubert,
That line direction problem is why I don't use the parallel tool. Instead, I use the Duplicate and Move tool to accomplish the same thing.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
Caddy

Post by Caddy »

Good Morning Mike

Your are right. But I think it's a pity using the Duplicate and Move tool instead of the Parallels tool, because of there are more settings to do. The Parallels tool is a nice tool and I won't missing it. So I hope Eric is going to improve it. Do you agree :?:

...looking forward for a sunny day
Hubert
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Mike, Hubert

The trouble with duplicate and move is that it is OK for vertical or horizontal lines but not for lines at other angles – unless you do a lot of sums with cosines of the angle :( . And no good for polycurves which is what I deal with a lot. Other than that, I use ⌘M a lot.

Oddly enough, when I extract a shape from MaxSurf and import it into RealCADD via DXF all the curved lines go parallel as you would expect (in, left etc). If you break the curves (which are really polygons with hundreds of sides) into lines, then each individual segment is the opposite of what you would think it should be!

I usually enter the parallel move in both ways and then delete the unwanted one. Otherwise however I second-guess it, it is ALWAYS wrong!! But it is a pain.

ClarisCad had quite a good system – you selected the parallel tool and dragged away from the line/shape etc you wanted to draw a parallel from in the direction you wanted; you entered the distance on the fly while holding the mouse button down. But ClarisCad couldn't draw a parallel from a polycurve, whereas RealCADD does it brilliantly – so I'm happy to swap the oddity of not knowing quite which direction the parallel is going in for the ability to draw parallels to difficult shapes and strange lines!

I think in general – we all of us using RealCADD – do very different things with it and have different requirements – which does demonstrate the strength of the program, in that it pretty well meets our central needs, while on the periphery there are things that we would like to see enhanced/improved. But they are not critical.

Mike – As an aside, I am 2/3rds of the way through writing a manual (in English) for RealCADD – encouraged by you writing one for iPocket. Just hard to find the time!

George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

George,

DrawingBoard used much the same method for parallels: start the drag in the desired direction, and enter the distance.

I'll be waiting for your manual! You're so much more of a power user than I am, I'm sure to learn a lot.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Mike:
I'll be waiting for your manual! You're so much more of a power user than I am, I'm sure to learn a lot.
I'm not sure that is true at all – but nice of you to say so!

I decided to make it in PHP/HTML, so it could be used in a browser – but of course I have to do all the coding as well, which has turned out to be somewhat time consuming. Ho-hum ...

George