Selecting topics

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Caddy

Selecting topics

Post by Caddy »

Bonjour Eric

Sometimes it is very hard to pick up every object by a mouse click and the lasso tool can't help really in some cases.

For this I have another proposal for the selection methods also. The only need is to made a distinction as follows and to build a "switch" for that:

-- The normal existing method (complete enclosure) should be detected when the selecting frame starts at the left and is drawn to the right side.

-- For the additional method the selecting frame needs only to touch the objects. And this method will be applied when the selecting frame starts at the right and is drawn to the left side.

As far as I remember it should be well supported by Mac OS. As a switch the "shift" key could be used also. Something like that.

Hubert
debenriver

Re: Selecting topics

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

For my two-pennyworth I think that you should be able to select starting from any point as now (top right ... bottom left etc).

But it would be nice if, as an option, by holding down the shift or option/alt key, one could select any object that is only partially enclosed by the selection marquee, rather than having to be totally enclosed.

:D

George
Caddy

Post by Caddy »

debenriver wrote:Hi Eric

For my two-pennyworth I think that you should be able to select starting from any point as now (top right ... bottom left etc).

But it would be nice if, as an option, by holding down the shift or option/alt key, one could select any object that is only partially enclosed by the selection marquee, rather than having to be totally enclosed.

:D

George
Hi George

In RealCADD the alt key in conjunction with the selection marquee is used already to activate the dialog "Move points".

At the Mac - by much other applications - the shift key is used to add or to remove one or more items to a selection. If you want to use partially enclosing by the selection marquee to add items to a current selection or to remove them then you can't use the shift key to make a distinction between partially and complete enclosing. There are not so much option keys...

A sunny but cold morning in Germany
Hubert
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Hubert, George,

I think that in Autocad, there is this two ways (from the right or from the left) to select objects.

And indeed, there are not so much option keys, so why not this 2 ways as an option.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hmmm... Yes of course the Option and Shift keys are already in use – I had forgotten that :!:

I guess one would quite quickly learn to like the two different selection modes: "left to right" to select objects wholly enclosed by the marquee; and "right to left" to select objects partially or wholly enclosed by the marquee.

Perhaps the option could be set on or off in Preferences?

George