Print Improvements?

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Mikerosen

Print Improvements?

Post by Mikerosen »

Eric,
I know that, in the past, we talked about making the "Display Page Break" accessible from the active program, rather than going into Preferences>Display. Have you done anything with that?

Also, would it be possible to link the layout size to the page orientation? It seems a bit unnecessary to have to keep changing that layout size back and forth, as I switch from portrait to landscape.

thanks,
Mike
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
Eric Pousse

Re: Print Improvements?

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Mike,
Mikerosen wrote: I know that, in the past, we talked about making the "Display Page Break" accessible from the active program, rather than going into Preferences>Display. Have you done anything with that?
For you, where this could be?
Mikerosen wrote: Also, would it be possible to link the layout size to the page orientation? It seems a bit unnecessary to have to keep changing that layout size back and forth, as I switch from portrait to landscape.
Why not !
I can perhaps keep in memory the number of pages wanted by the user and use it regardless of the size of the selected page or changed.
Yes/No?
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

It could be a little on/off icon bottom left along with the print and save icons – this is quite an underused area?

Click it once and page breaks display; click it again and they don't?
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

I like George's idea of a little icon down in the lower left. That would be fine with me, too.

Yes, if it could be set up to remember a couple of page sizes and orientations, with their respective print areas, that would be fine. Letter/portrait and letter/landscape would be fine for me, but I'm sure that George needs a lot more!
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Mike!

As you supposed, I use totally ridiculous paper sizes! I draw a lot of stuff full size (to convert to DXF files for CNC cutting). These are never printed.

Rather than use a lot of pages, I set my paper size to 11,175mm x 3050mm (440" x 120") – which is a large bit of paper by any standards! But there is logic in my madness. I supply a 1/10th scale PDF of the image on the DXF file, which might get printed (but is often just looked at as reference). Most wide format printers can print 305mm wide by 1175 long (12" x 44") – so I can simply scale the whole drawing by 0.1 and I'm home and dry. Any text on the full size DXF is at 90 point – so 9 point when scaled.

For smaller boats I use the same system but based on 9" x 24" (90" x 240" at full size) as most standard ink jet printers can print up to 9" x 44". And you can buy nice pads of artists paper 18" x 24" and slice them down the middle to give 9" x 24" sheets.

When printing, multiple pages don't work for my stuff because print margins interrupt the lines– so I have to use "roll feed" paper sizes. Really my stuff needs to be printed on a plotter, rather than a printer – but most of my customers don't have access to those.

I almost never print stuff myself, because I sell my designs online as downloadable PDF's. But the end user may well want to print the general drawings (that's the non-dxf stuff) out, so I often use A3 (297 × 420 = 11.7" × 16.5") as a basic paper size. The nearest US equivalent is Tabloid (11" x 17"), so with a bit of care I can make it so that both the US and the Rest of the World can print the drawings from standard paper.

As I read it, if Eric made this modification, the program would log whatever paper size was input under "Page Setup" – is that right? And then would automatically make the drawing size whatever the page setup size was – so you wouldn't need to enter it. And if you changed from portrait to landscape it would automatically change the drawing size. Have I got that right??

What a minefield printing is!

George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Boy, am I glad I don't build boats!

Yes, what you have reiterated in your last few lines is what I want!
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Thank you Mike and George !

I will study that.
Eric Pousse