Centre of area

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Centre of area

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

One thing I have meant to ask you, is it possible for RealCADD to calculate the centre of area of a closed shape (regular and irregular)? Like an irregular polygon, or an object made from poly-lines.

I have to work out the weight and centre of gravity of every piece of structure, which is very very tedious. If I could get at the centre of area, then the rest is easy because they are most always made from constant thickness components.

Cheers

George
Eric Pousse

Re: Centre of area

Post by Eric Pousse »

Hi George,

This can't be done with a script because a script can't select an object or work on a selected object.

I will try to add this feature to RealCADD.

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Re: Centre of area

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

Right – yes I understand that.

It would be a brilliant feature though – at least for me it would! And I'm sure a lot of other technical drawing users.

Would it place a little cross on the centre do you think – so you select an object – hit a Calculate CoA or similar menu item under Actions and the centre mark appears in the object. Then, provided the mark is a real object that stays put, you can measure to the centre from any point.

Or would it give it in absolute terms from x=0 and y=0 as part of the Edit menu. Either would be good.

If it is a slightly slow process it might be better to make it a specific request rather than having it happen all the time and slow things down.

Just thoughts ...

Many thanks

George