Manual / Filet radius

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Simon Cohen

Manual / Filet radius

Post by Simon Cohen »

I bought the software because it looks so similar to Claris which I was using for years.

However, I am struggling even with the simplest features.

For example, how do I make a filet radius between two intersecting or not intersecting lines?

I need step by step instructions.

I am trying to learn, I got stuck and I am frustrated.

Is there any basic manual for RealCADD? Apparently, there is none.

Suggestion:

How about asking current owners/users to donate time and write a couple of instructions for each feature/command they are familiar with, especially complicated ones? The feature/command name first letter would be a letter contained in the user name. Of course, writers would not be restricted to any other instructions they want to write.

For example, my name has letter C so I can write an instruction how to "copy" anything. Of course, that would be very easy for any computer user to do. I would need to use another letter from my name, "S", for instructing how to "select" and how to "save".

If enough users participate, a totally random but comprehensive "how to" RealCADD "Manupedia" could be created and organized alphabetically in a fashion similar to FAQ.
Eric Pousse

Re: Manual / Filet radius

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Simon,

Select the tool with the alt or option key down do display the parameters,
Check the parameters,
Click and drag from the first line to the second line.

It is done.

A small video : Here

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
Simon Cohen

Post by Simon Cohen »

Thank you very much.

In addition to the short instruction above, I've noticed on the video that I need to designate L1 together with radius in order to get the filet and I succeeded!

However, I am unable to get lines trimmed on the correct ends or trimmed at all.

What am I missing?

Simon
Simon Cohen

Post by Simon Cohen »

Thank you for the prompt answer.

I am still unable to get lines trimmed after getting radius filet on the correct ends or not at all.

Simon Cohen
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Simon

There are several options when filleting or radius filleting and they produce differing results. Look at this sketch:
Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 08.49.28.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 08.49.28.png (26.49 KiB) Viewed 9604 times
Thinking of the top pair A & B, if you select this option:
Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 08.27.51.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 08.27.51.png (27.12 KiB) Viewed 9604 times
you will get Result A. The bottom line will be extended by 50mm, a tangential radius (green) will be drawn to the top line and the extra length of the top line (red) will be cut (but not deleted).

If you just selected "Extend", instead of "Extend and Cut", the red part of the top line would not be cut. If you selected "Extend, Cut and Delete", the red line would be cut and deleted. The radius (green) will be whatever radius is necessary to be tangential to the two lines.

If you select this option:
Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 08.36.24.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 08.36.24.png (27.29 KiB) Viewed 9604 times
you will get Result B. The green radius will be the radius you entered (50mm in this case). The bottom line will be extended as necessary and the top line will be trimmed (red part). "Extend" or "Extend, Cut and Delete" will work as described above.

There is a quirk however that happens sometimes, but not always as 1, 2 & 3 on the sketch shows:

I wanted a 100mm radius from X to A as sketch 2 so I selected "R=100 : Extend and Cut" and dragged as shown on Sketch 1. What I got was Sketch 3 with the radius on the wrong side of the line XY. If this happens you will have to trim the ends B and Y off first using the "Trim" tool, and then drag for the radius.

Eric can probably explain why this happens sometimes – maybe it's to do with the direction the lines are drawn in. Sometimes if I have four lines making up a quadrilateral, with all the lines crossing each other, three of the radii will go where I want them to and 1 will not! A little annoying but not a disaster :D

Hope this helps.

George
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi again Simon

I am not correct in the first part of my previous post.

When you select the first option (L = 50) it doesn't extend the bottom line by 50mm.

It makes a tangential radius between the two lines such that the distance from the start of the radius to the point of intersection of the two lines is 50mm.

Here's Sketch A again. The blue dashed line is 50mm long
Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 09.42.15.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 09.42.15.png (18.05 KiB) Viewed 9602 times

Sorry about that!

George
Simon Cohen

Post by Simon Cohen »

Thank you very much. I will try this during the weekend.