Copy and Paste

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Copy and Paste

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

One thing that would be very good is to be able to Copy and Paste to RealCADD from other programs and from RealCADD to other programs. At the moment Copy & Paste in the RC environment seems to be restricted to to and from other RC files. It seems that RC doesn't use the Mac'c clipboard?

George
Eric Pousse

Re: Copy and Paste

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

You can copy and paste text when you edit it.
The clipboard can just be used with standard objects : texts, pictures.
The clipboard and other software don't know my own objects.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Bonsoir Eric!

I can copy and paste text OK. But pictures don't seem to work. Here is an image of the clipboard with a picture in it:
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (47.35 KiB) Viewed 10065 times
But this won't paste into RC. The actual item in the clipboard is a picture (as a PICT file I guess). It would paste into ClarisCad Ok and the curve – which is the heeling arm curve of a 19' sailboat I am designing – you can see that it capsizes at about 123º heel! – would be a polycurve and the lines would be lines etc. (or convertible into lines), so I could manipulate it. It comes from a program call MacHydro (which is a stability program).

What I have to do at the moment is to paste it into ClarisCad, save it, use Claris Translator to convert it to a DXF file and then open it in RC. Which works fine (the scales get a bit odd – but that is fixable with the Scale tool). Then it is a very accurate RC object, no problem. I have to go this route because my version of MacHydro does not have a direct export to DXF.

But it would be really nice to do a simple copy and paste ... Because all the Claris stuff is old and I have to run it on either an old machine with Classic enabled or on SheepShaver.

I haven't had any success with copy and paste for anything except text actually. Mostly I don't care about going from RC to another program – it's pasting into RC that I would find useful.

George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

Yes only texts work.
For picture, you have to use the "Import picture" menu in "File".
If the picture is a true vectorial PICT, RealCADD can find objects in PICT file.

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

I know I can import a PICT picture OK.

But even if the picture in the clipboard is a PICT image, I can't import it into RC directly from the clipboard – at least I don't think I can ????

I have to paste it into something first and save it as a PICT file, which means using an intermediate program of some sort.

I did just experiment with pasting the image into ClarisCad,saving as a PICT and importing into RC – which worked fine. But it is much the same as going through the ClarisCad-DXF route.

What I really want to be able to do is paste it into RC directly from the clipboard! :D

George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

debenriver wrote:What I really want to be able to do is paste it into RC directly from the clipboard! :D
George,

I will explore that...

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Thank you very much indeed Eric – that would be great

Cheers – George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

This feature exists or existed in RealCADD but with new versions of OS X, the PICT format is no more available for the pasteboard.
From the Apple documentation :
The PICT format was formally deprecated in OS X v10.4 along with QuickDraw. You should not be explicitly providing or looking for PICT data on the pasteboard.
With a version of RealCADD which will run on Mac OS X 10.4, you must have this feature but not with more recent versions.

Therefore, I think that I can't do something, sorry.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

OK – that's why I can copy and paste much more between older programs on my old mac, running Classic. What a pain – it was very convenient even though PICT had some limitations. Useful features always seem to get upgraded out ...

Never mind – and thank you for checking it out.

George